*** COVID-19 advice. After emailing several of the main meditation centres in Southeast Asia, they have all said foreign meditators are not allowed for the time being. Check back later in 2021 ***
Here are meditation centres, mostly in Asia, for people interested in serious practice. The region has a lot of places to meditate in, so these are only the tip of the iceberg. There are entries regarding Sri Lanka and Myanmar generally, as well as the top entry which is a list of further places I haven’t been to yet.
Please get in touch for corrections or updates. May you be happy. All the best in your practice!
- List of further reputable places
- Rathmalkanda International Meditation Centre, Ella, Sri Lanka
- Panditarama Shwe Taung Gone Centre, Yangon, Myanmar
- The Mahasi Centre, Yangon, Myanmar
- Myanmar meditation visa
- Panditarama Hse Main Gon Forest Meditation Centre, Bago, Myanmar
- Overview of Sri Lanka monasteries
- Vajirarama Forest Solitude, Bowalawatta, Kandy, Sri Lanka
- Na Uyana Aranya Forest Monastery, Pansiyagama, Sri Lanka
- Nissarana Vanaya Forest Monastery, Mitirigala, Sri Lanka
- Siyane Vipassana Meditation Centre, Kanduboda, Sri Lanka
- Dhamma Rasmi, Vipassana International Association (Goenka) Centre, Sunshine Coast, Australia
- Sumathipala Meditation Centre, Kanduboda, Sri Lanka
- Panditarama Lumbini International Vipassana Meditation Centre, Lumbini, Nepal
- Devanapathis Meditation Centre, Pallekele, Sri Lanka
- Buddhist Hermitage Lunas, Penang, Malaysia
Also, while you’re here, check out the new blog for my upcoming book full of advice on how to do retreats.
If you’ve found this information useful, please think about a donation. The following is for receiving Bitcoin. Any amount is very welcome, as it all helps me to keep travelling and visiting these places. Thank you.