Here are meditation centres, mostly in Asia, for people interested in serious practice. The region has a lot of places to meditate in, so these are only the tip of the iceberg. As of mid-2022, you can assume Sri Lanka is open and accessible, but going through some economic and political turmoil; and Myanmar is seeing a surge in tourism again, so it is possible to enter the country. In both cases, please check with the individual centre that they are accepting international travellers, as some are not due to Covid fears.
Also please check out my new book (free sample chapters), the Meditation Retreat Manual, packed with information, tips, and advice for setting out on the intensive retreat trail.
Please get in touch for corrections or updates. May you be happy. All the best in your practice!
- List of further reputable places
- Panditarama Shwe Taung Gone Centre, Yangon, Myanmar
- The Mahasi Centre, Yangon, Myanmar
- Myanmar meditation visa
- Panditarama Hse Main Gon Forest Meditation Centre, Bago, Myanmar
- Overview of Sri Lanka monasteries
- Vajirarama Forest Solitude, Bowalawatta, Kandy, Sri Lanka
- Na Uyana Aranya Forest Monastery, Pansiyagama, Sri Lanka
- Nissarana Vanaya Forest Monastery, Mitirigala, Sri Lanka
- Siyane Vipassana Meditation Centre, Kanduboda, Sri Lanka
- Dhamma Rasmi, Vipassana International Association (Goenka) Centre, Sunshine Coast, Australia
- Sumathipala Meditation Centre, Kanduboda, Sri Lanka
- Panditarama Lumbini International Vipassana Meditation Centre, Lumbini, Nepal
- Devanapathis Meditation Centre, Pallekele, Sri Lanka
- Buddhist Hermitage Lunas, Penang, Malaysia